Accused!!!

Today an acquaintance of mine, from the same building I work in, a lady, came to me frantic. I wasn't in-tuned as to what she was severely frantic about, I don't know this woman other than a brief conversation on the sidewalk over the course of a few months in passing. So she tells me what's cooking her goose .

 She started right off "did your wife call me to tell me, to stop calling you." This was already odd to me. I said "no, nope".

Being the detective I am, I began to inquire of the details. She said some angry lady with a blocked number called twice today on my phone knowing my home address  and she heard a bunch of kids in the background and she said she only gave me her home address via email ("solely for the purpose and reason to pick up some kid stuff for my kids, which my wife and I scheduled with her to pick up last week) and her cellphone number, so it MUST be your wife who called" she states directly.

This made me upset because of the direct accusation tossed, but I wanted to relieve her stress knowing this is not true at all, so I figured the truth will ease her. I told her at least 6 times already this is not my wife's mode of operation, I would know whether or not if she had called just from her voice inflection alone, and she would (as would any wife) possibly injure me, if she even thought that I was even up to something sinister with someone else. And for the record I am not. I told her my phone was off all night and I showed her my phone records.

She would not hear that.
 I said let me call my wife and let you hear her speak with me. She said okay. I was like imagine if it was her? Right? I spoke to my wife. And asked her indirectly and discreetly. So the woman was able to hear her voice. My wife said she made no calls to anyone today at all. I tell the lady and she's still not convinced! Now shes like "its her! its her!"

At this point several coworkers walk by and hear bits of the conversation and I really don't like how this is appearing. So I still keeping my cool, still being accused, after three proofs: we are not the people in question she still not convinced. Even Gideon in the bible was only able to ask God to present only 2 proofs of truth before God began to diminished his vast army for unbelief.

Now, I'm sorry I ever met this person to begin with, not sure what to do

 1. I'm not the person because when i called it was in full view of my wife and it was not for chitchat. and 2 my wife didn't call her at all because she doesn't have the number or her address.  This woman did not hear her directly.

So this lady now convinced we are all liars trying cover up an angry call from my wife continues to believe that we are it.

 I see how when people are falsely accused how tremendously insulting and dangerous it is. I head to another place where we can talk quietly, the office lobby is no place to continue. Now, I've had it. Don't know what to do and this looks odd to everyone who sees it.

My boss walks by, then three more coworkers to boot.  I said I'm going to call my wife back and ask her directly. So I did.

 Then I put the lady on the phone with her and she hears her voice and they dialogue for a minute and at last!! she apologizes to my wife. Then says sorry to me.  Me..... I gave her the look of: "What are you lady? With a glance of  "what is your problem?" With a blink of  "Can't you hear what I'm saying?!" I said "if that person ever calls back gather more info from her".  Then she mutters "I don't think she will."

And with that I realize she is still not convinced! I'm exhausted proving my innocence. I have to now go upstairs and explain this strange lady to all the coworkers who saw me with her about what happened to squelch any rumors. They were all in the lunch room so I addressed it to all at the same time. Then, I called my wife to decompress the situation.

 The last proof that it wasn't my wife was the lady said there were a bunch of kids in the background, we have a very strict don't disturb mom or dad on the phone policy.

 This strange woman has no real evidence, just what she's thinking and supposing in her mind. Before I write this lady off for good, I do understand her struggle, I do understand what she said and why she was trying to get to the bottom of all of it. I even understand the safety aspect.

 Though she would not hear me, I heard her, and I presented all the facts,truths and the knowledge of my wife after being in a good marriage for 11 plus years that this stranger who I allowed into my atmosphere, could be so accusatory without legit evidence.

 The situation was very scary, and so un-trusting, not the makings for any good friendship in my book. As a matter of fact, it makes me want to stay far away from this one...... I think I will.

*****Update******************
One entire week has passed with no conversation, and no close proximity, and then today at the end of the week, we crossed paths....She asked me how I am doing I said fine and you know something this woman was still persuaded that my wife is still the one who called her !! Even after this lady said sorry to my wife on the phone for the inconvenience. She was internally persuaded beyond a shadow of a doubt, that since the person who initially called did not call back, after we spoke together last Friday, that we MUST be the culprits. 

People like this need distance.

 I thought to send an email with more proof like phone records, Phone bills and all that but when I backed up to think this all-the-way-through-to-terminus,I was counter persuaded thoroughly, that that might not be the best idea. She is like a laser guided missile just wanting to hear what she wants to hear. Good luck trying to deter a convinced person. I don't need these kind of people in my life so farewell strange lady be convinced and miss out on some good people. Peace out.
 
So I resort back to my initial premise which is to..... stay far, far, far away from this one.*****

Comments

Popular Posts