Connections

Connections
by Greg Valentine

We're all connected as people. To some extent if not by creation alone then by our memories together.

I missed a day of work today, I stayed home taking care of my wife and kids today, fixing  our breaks and being an extra human helper in the home. I had a few moments to blog and to sit in my car. I was listening to the preparation of the 911- 11th anniversary on N.P.R. radio. My memory raced back in time, while listening, I began contemplating missing my mother in her 10 years absence.
The conversation was about the importance of being there. Experiencing history. Being in the actual spot of where history and memories coincide.

My mom was alive when 9/11 happened in 2001. The following year 9/11 2002 she wad no longer alive. She passed away 9/7/2002. We found out that we were expecting 3 months after our wedding our first child, Tytus. My mother, would never see them, nor they see her in person.

When I got the call, that my mother had passed away, I was cutting my hair in the shower room . I went to the morgue to see her after that. I touched her body. It was solid, frozen, cold, and lifeless. It was a reminder that her real self is not in the flesh no more.

 When the towers fell, a few days after its time, I went to the site. I had to see it in person. As the person, in the actual location of an event, it connects us. It connected me.

Occupy wall street, I went when the movement was strong. When they occupied Zuccotti park. I've been back even after the fall of the movement in Nov 16th. Seeing the connection and watching life unfold.
Forever reminded of the time by standing in the actual spot.
Being there is important be there for someone
Change the world.
Greg v

Comments

Popular Posts