Thursday 6:30pm by the elevator.

I turned the corner heading for the elevator. Bag on shoulder, hat on head. It's check out time. Its time to bug out and go home!!
Did my final office checks. No heat machines on.  Closed the  gate, filled up copiers. Unplugged fan made sure office paper is ready for tomorrow. Got the last of the mail and proceeded to the exit.
Opened the door. It gravity SLAMS shut behind me. Turn the corner. Almost home free.
Shock!
Its my boss! He's going home too! Stands there looking up at the ceiling he is, with hands on hips. Waiting for the elevator. Its that awkward moment of "boss and employee"all done for the day, level ground- kinda.
(Too late, can't retreat back, already made eye contact.)
"Good evening." He says.
(Dag... I shouldve said it first! I screamed I'm my head. He beat me to it!)
I gained my footing took a deep breath and prepare for battle. "Good evening.... how are you doing? :) " I asked. (For real, I really wanted to know. Never ask a question you don't want to know the answer to. That's lying if you do. {Oh how I hate when people ask you how are you doing? as they sail by without missing a step, so very irritating! But I digress} Everyone has a stressed out boss to some extent. Believe it or not, they're people too. They have many things on their plate. It's like they're a people perpetually pregnant with plenty of problems)
"Could be better." He says.
(Gauging his facials and body language, factoring sarcasm at play, I relaxed just a little. Quickly processing all the data, Then proceeded to reply switch the dial  from "combative" to "friendly" internal dial settings. Trying to match tone and language.)
"Well, good that today is over, and tomorrow could be better or worse, but it's never the same as today." My empty computer bag on my shoulder feels heavy so I shift weight all to one foot. (I'm not sure if that metaphysical response I gave,  depicted the correct message I really wished to convey).
"That may not be a good thing to look forward to."he says.
(Yep, it was too metaphysical. Gotta bring it down, Greggie, me thinks in my head.)
We stepped onto the elevator.
"Well, one good thing is that tomorrow is Friday......, " pause I lean slightly towards the right   the metal doors then continued .... "bagel Friday!" I say in a matter-of-fact tone. hoping to encourage.
He gave a smile. (Getting a smile is better than an insult. That's good, my thoughts and mouth didnt betray me today. Not sure what will come out of my mouth sometimes.) So,I am relieved. Elevator door opens.
" Thats true.....Have a good night". And he proceeds out.
Thank you, you too. Goodnight.
(Praise the Lord, Survived another close one, y'all.)

I do really like my job.

The best case scenario, managed to get into, and off of the elevator while making the boss smile and he not thinking any less of you, as you go home to return the next day. Worse case scenario, maybe just became the comic relief?
3/7/13

Comments

Popular Posts